It’s been a while but unfortunately there has been little to report to date, but here is the current situation with SCC.
Paddles are continuing from Mayors Mead/Wick at present, there is a Whatsapp group for booking a place details of which were sent in a club email to all members. Club boats are limited so it’s first come first serve for allocation. Paddlers are separated into groups of up to 6 and reminded of social distancing, club boats are being cleaned as per guidelines in-between paddles.
As it’s getting darker and cooler in the evenings please remember to dress appropriately and bring a torch/light so you can be seen on the water. There will be also be a start soon to weekend paddles.
Hengistbury Head Outdoor Centre
The centre is still closed and at present there is no access to any of the sea kayaks and up to now have been unable to paddle from the centre. They are still in the stage of preparing to reopen have been waiting for repair work to start to some areas of the premises, which it now looks have started.
We have been informed by the centre that if the club can meet Covid 19 requirements the slipway can be used gain. The Club Covid 19 Risk Assessment was emailed last week, and the committee are awaiting a reply. If everything is satisfactory it will be arranged to start paddling from the centre and some of the sea kayaks will be moved out of the building to be accessible. It is understood that access will only be to the slipway, there will be no access to the building including toilets and changing rooms. Once more is known there will be a further update.
Fees for this year are currently being discussed by the committee so hopefully there will be a communication about this soon.
In the meantime, keep paddling and keep safe.